Now for a whimsical spin on making Labor Day, Steak Day. We have Spinach & Bacon Steak Pinwheels as our second recipe… I had you at bacon, right? These delectable wheels of salty, beefy goodness will brighten up your day. Whether as an appetizer or main entrée, the circles of fun will be a hit with your family and friends. Have you heard anything since, “bacon?”
Beginning with top sirloin, cut and pounded to desired thickness for tenderness and quick cooking; a paste is made from the chopped spinach, Parmesan cheese, salt, and cayenne pepper. Cooked bacon is laid on the steak and the paste is added on top. The steak is then rolled and sliced into pinwheels, with the bacon and paste at the center creating a contrasting combination of textures and flavors. So fire up the grill, grab the bacon, and let’s make Labor Day, Steak Day!
Spinach & Bacon Steak Pinwheels Ingredients
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top sirloin steak
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Spinach & Bacon Steak Pinwheels Directions
- Make diagonal cuts in steak at 1-in. intervals to within 1/2 in. of bottom of meat. Repeat cuts in opposite direction. Pound to 1/2 in. thickness. Place bacon down the center of the meat.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, Parmesan cheese, salt and cayenne; spoon over bacon. Roll up and secure with toothpicks. Cut into six slices.
- Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 6 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Discard toothpicks.
Taken from: Taste of Home http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/spinach-steak-pinwheels