There is nothing like roasted veggies on the grill or golden brown bread toasted over flame. Neither is a conventional oven any match for a grill in cooking pizza at home. For our second recipe of The Vivacious Vegetarian, we combine all these in Roasted Red Pepper & Olive Pizza on the grill. The high heat of the grill is perfect for making pizza, especially if you like crunchy crust.
This is a simple recipe for making pizza dough, allowing you the flexibility of making the pizzas as small or large as you like. As always, using the freshest produce available will yield a light and refreshing explosion of flavor. See the tip below to take this pizza to the next level by roasting the peppers and tomatoes yourself first. You can use whatever toppings you like, but don’t over do it; let the simplicity of the ingredients sing. So fire up the grill, invite your vivacious vegetarian buddies, and happy grilling.
Roasted Red Pepper & Olive Pizza Ingredients
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 pinch white sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Roasted Red Pepper & Olive Pizza Directions
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water, and mix in sugar. Proof for ten minutes, or until frothy. Mix in the salt, olive oil, and flour until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth, about 8 minutes. Place dough in a well-oiled bowl, and cover with a damp cloth. Set aside to rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch down, and knead in garlic and basil. Set aside to rise for 1 more hour, or until doubled again.
- Preheat grill for high heat. Heat olive oil with garlic for 30 seconds in the microwave. Set aside. Punch down dough, and divide in half. Form each half into an oblong shape 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick.
- Brush grill grate with garlic flavored olive oil. Carefully place one piece of dough on hot grill. The dough will begin to puff almost immediately. When the bottom crust has lightly browned, turn the dough over using two spatulas. Working quickly, brush oil over crust, and then brush with 2 tablespoons tomato sauce. Arrange 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes, 1/8 cup sliced black olives, and 1/8 cup roasted red peppers over crust. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese and 2 tablespoons basil. Close the lid, and cook until the cheese melts. Remove from grill, and set aside to cool for a few minutes while you prepare the second pizza.
Tip: For even more flavor, grill a whole red pepper (sliced in half) and large tomato (sliced into several ½” thick slices) seasoned with salt & pepper on the grill for a couple minutes per side. Remove from grill, dice, and use as toppings on pizza.
Taken from AllRecipes.com