Springtime brings warmer temperatures, budding blossoms, longer days, and thus, more opportunities to grill and hangout with friends. This is the unofficial start to the high season of barbecue, and The Grillfather wants to kick start your weekend menu with some terrific meal ideas with the Grillin’ in the Spring Series. This week, we bring Grilled Shrimp Rolls with Sorrel, a fragrant take on traditional Northeastern lobster rolls using grilled shrimp, sherry, gin, and herbs.
Begin with fresh large shrimp, already shelled and deveined, and add to a marinade of olive oil, rosemary, lemon zest, and garlic. The custom mayonnaise for the rolls uses scallions, cornichons, shallot, celery, tarragon, sherry vinegar, paprika, celery seeds, garlic, salt, and pepper. Just before grilling, the marinated shrimp are tossed with sherry and gin, and threaded on to skewers. Grill over high heat for a few minutes per side to a beautiful char, then toss with the mayonnaise, and serve on a roll with fresh sorrel. The finished shrimp comes of the grill with fresh texture and beautiful color, and the mayonnaise adds a creamy depth of flavor from the sherry vinegar and spices. So fire up the grill, setup the favorite hammock under the favorite tree, and get ready to enjoy spring with your backyard and your grill.
Grilled Shrimp Rolls with Sorrel Ingredients
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 tablespoon rosemary leaves
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 40 large shrimp (about 1 1/2 pounds), shelled and deveined
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 3 cornichons, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 large celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced tarragon
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon gin
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 8 hot dog rolls (preferably potato rolls), split
- 8 large sorrel or arugula leaves
Grilled Shrimp Rolls with Sorrel Directions
- In a large shallow dish, combine 1/4 cup of the olive oil with the rosemary, lemon zest and two-thirds of the garlic. Stir in the shrimp and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.
- In a bowl, stir the mayonnaise with the scallions, cornichons, shallot, celery, tarragon, sherry vinegar, paprika, celery seeds and the remaining minced garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Light a grill. Toss the shrimp with the gin and sherry. Thread the shrimp onto 8 skewers; season with salt and pepper. Grill the shrimp over a hot fire until lightly charred and cooked through, 3 minutes per side; let cool slightly. Stir the grilled shrimp into the mayonnaise dressing.
- Brush the cut sides of the hot dog rolls with olive oil and grill until toasted. Place a sorrel leaf in each roll, spoon the shrimp salad into the rolls and serve.
Taken from FoodAndWine.com