Cold weather brings big appetites that crave hearty meals of piping hot protein and vegetables. However, most people elect for indoor preparation leaving their grills all alone and neglected for winter. This ought not be so. Make the winter season, grilling season with Grilled Sea Salt Crusted Rib Eye with Homemade Horseradish. This remarkable steak is extremely simple to prepare, and the homemade horseradish adds complementary heat to the palate.
Beginning with fresh rib eye steaks from your favorite butcher, they are lightly coated with olive oil and then heavily sprinkled with sea salt and white pepper creating a layer about half a centimeter in thickness. These are seared for 5-6 minutes on both sides then allowed to rest. After resting, they are placed on the grill a second time to finish cooking a few minutes to desired doneness. A perfect complement to the salty crust, the horseradish is a combination of grated daikon, grated horseradish, Dijon mustard, olive oil, lemon, and fresh ground pepper. Tender and juicy on the inside, these steaks are succulent and warming on any winter day. So fire up the grill, put on a warm coat, and let’s get grillin’…
Grilled Sea Salt Crusted Rib Eye Ingredients
- (2) 16 oz rib eye steaks
- ¾ cup Sicilian sea salt
- 3 tbsp freshly ground white pepper
- olive oil
- 1 cup premium extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lemons
- 1 large daikon peeled
- 2 medium sized horseradish roots peeled (or 6 oz jar unsweetened horseradish)
- 2 tbsp of Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ of small lemon
- 1 tsp of freshly ground pepper
Grilled Sea Salt Crusted Rib Eye Directions
- Grate daikon on course side of grater
- Gently squeeze excess juice and place in a bowl
- Grate the horseradish on fine side of grater and roughly chop over
- Add to daikon and all other ingredients to taste and set aside 15 mins before serving
- Bring meat up to room temperature.
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- On a dry tray lightly oil steaks and liberally sprinkle with sea salt and ¼ portion pepper, covering ½ cm on each side.
- Place steaks on hottest part of grill careful not to flame.
- Sear on the one side for 5-6 minutes, then turn over repeating cooking time.
- Remove from grill and rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Put steaks back on grill and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side for medium rare.
- Rest for a further 2 minutes and slice off the bone if you wish to share, cutting into 6 or 7 pieces.
- Place on plate, replace bone and drizzle liberally with extra virgin olive oil and serve with lemon half and horseradish condiment.
Taken from LifeStyleFood.com.au