I can’t get enough chips and salsa during the summer (or really all year round, but we are talking about summer…). Here is the Summer Grilling Spectacular homage to salsa: Grilled Pineapple and Corn Salsa. Everything in this salsa is first grilled on the BBQ, then combined for an explosion of heat and flavor to dip in, pour over, or just simply eat straight.
Super simple and straightforward, we grill the fresh pineapple, red pepper, scallions, jalapeno, and ears of corn. Once grilled, all of these beautifully charred ingredients are combined with mint and cilantro in a food processor. Crystalized ginger, lime juice, and salt and pepper finish off this amazing tapestry of flavor and color. This salsa can be served with chips, baguettes, meats or sausages – the combinations are endless. So fire up the grill, grab your culinary paintbrush, and prepare to grill a masterpiece! (Tip: buy lots and lots of chips!)
Serves 4 (But you should probably double or triple this… just saying…)
Grilled Pineapple and Corn Salsa Ingredients
- 1 pineapple, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch sliced (and cored – I just used my paring knife to cut it out)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut in half
- 3 scallions
- 1 jalapeno pepper, halved lengthwise (for less heat, remove seeds)
- 2 ears corn (or 1 cup frozen corn, broiled, using this method!)
- 1 Tbs. crystallized ginger
- 3 sprigs fresh mint
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 Tbs. fresh lime juice (or more to taste!)
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Grilled Pineapple and Corn Salsa Directions
- Preheat grill.
- Place the pineapple slices, red bell pepper halves, jalapeno pepper halves, ears of corn, and scallions on the grill. Drizzle a little olive oil over everything and a quick pinch of salt. Grill until everything is nicely charred and gorgeous. All the cooking times will be a little different. The scallions will come off first. Then everything else will take a few more minutes.
- On a cutting board, give everything a super rough dice. Nothing crazy.
- Now, place everything in the food processor EXCEPT the corn (but including crystallized ginger, mint, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper) and pulse just a few times until it’s still all good and chunky. You don’t want to puree it. Just a few pulses. There you go.
- Pour the salsa into a bowl and stir the corn in. Taste it. Need anything? Besides another taste?
- Serve with chips or over anything you want
Taken from: Bev Cooks http://bevcooks.com/2013/05/grilled-pineapple-and-corn-salsa/