Memorial Day is a holiday to remember the men and women who have given their lives in our national defense. In celebrating them and our freedom, it has become synonymous with backyard grilling, kicking off the summer with festivity and fun. Our Memorial Day Backyard BBQ Series features beautiful menu ideas for a grilling hoedown from simple burgers to ribs and everything in-between. For a beachy fresh Baja influence, here are Grilled Fish Tacos with Salsa Verde. Featuring fresh tilapia marinated in citrus and herbs and served with refreshing lime-mayo and all the favorite fixings for a taco bar.
Begin making the marinade by combining orange juice, Mexican oregano, onion, cilantro, oil, and lime juice. Spread a layer of onion in a baking dish, then place seasoned filets on top and spoon the marinade over the fish. While the fish is marinating, make the lime-mayo by simply whisking mayonnaise, milk, and lime juice until combined and smooth. Grill fish over medium-high heat on well-oiled grates until just opaque in the center. Chop the fish and arrange with all the chopped veggies, Salsa Verde, lime-mayo, and warmed tortillas so guests can assemble their tacos. A simple preparation with a ton of flavor packed into the tender fish and refreshing toppings. So fire up the grill, hoist the flag in remembrance, grab your trunks, and kick off the barbecue season with these marvelous tacos.
Grilled Fish Tacos Ingredients
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp. fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp. dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
- 2 cups chopped white onion, divided
- ¾ cup chopped cilantro, divided
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for the grill
- 5 Tbsp. fresh lime juice, divided
- 1 lb. tilapia, striped bass, or sturgeon fillets
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- 4 corn tortillas
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted, sliced
- ½ small head of cabbage, cored, thinly sliced
- Salsa Verde
- Lime wedges (for serving)
- 1-pound tomatillos, husked, rinsed, quartered
- ½ medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 serrano chile, seeds removed if desired, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves with tender stems
- Kosher salt
Grilled Fish Tacos Directions
- Stir garlic, orange juice, oregano, 1 cup onion, ¼ cup cilantro, ¼ cup oil, and 3 Tbsp. lime juice in a medium bowl. Season fish with salt and pepper. Spread half of the onion mixture over the bottom of a 11x7x2″ glass baking dish. Arrange fish over onion mixture. Spoon remaining onion mixture over fish. Cover and chill 30 minutes. Turn fish; cover and chill 30 minutes longer.
- Whisk mayonnaise, milk, and remaining 2 Tbsp. lime juice in a small bowl.
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat; brush grate with oil. Grill fish, with some marinade still clinging, until just opaque in the center, 3–5 minutes per side. Grill tortillas until slightly charred, about 10 seconds per side.
- Coarsely chop fish; arrange on a platter. Serve with lime mayonnaise, tortillas, avocados, cabbage, Salsa Verde, lime wedges, and remaining 1 cup chopped onion and ½ cup cilantro.
- Purée tomatillos, onion, garlic, chile, and cilantro in a blender, adding water as needed, until smooth; season with salt.
Taken from bonappetit.com https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/grilled-fish-tacos