There’s nothing like hot food fresh off the grill, and the current health crisis has us all home with more time to spend grill-side. The Grillin’ in the Spring Series is all about getting outside more as the temperatures warm and the days lengthen. But in truth, it’s really just another clever title to grill more since every time of year is the Grill Father’s time to barbecue. Next up is Grilled Beef with Broccoli, a traditional Asian-inspired dish with a marinade featuring oyster sauce, soy sauce, and Shaoxing wine. Marinated grilled flank steak is always a favorite, and grilling the broccoli pulls out its delicate sweetness while maintaining amazing texture.
Begin with the marinade by combining garlic, ginger, oyster sauce, wine, soy sauce, sesame oil, molasses, and rice vinegar. Use 2 cups to marinate the flank steak for up to 12 hours to break up the tougher tissue of this cut of beef. Grill the steak over medium-high heat to get that beautiful char that we all love. For the broccoli, thin out the leftover marinade with water and brush all over the broccoli. Grill over medium heat for about 12 minutes continuing to baste with the thinned marinade. Serve the steak sliced with the beautifully charred and browned broccoli with white rice and the leftover marinade for a heartfelt and comfy meal that is amazing. So fire up the grill, stay healthy, and take advantage of the times to get busy with your grill.
Grilled Beef with Broccoli Ingredients
- 6 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 3-inch piece ginger, peeled, grated
- ¾ cup oyster sauce
- ¾ cup Shaoxing wine (Chinese rice wine)
- ¾ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup toasted sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons mild-flavored (light) molasses
- 3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1½ pounds flank steak
- 2 medium heads of broccoli (about 1 pound), stems peeled, heads halved lengthwise
- Sliced scallions, toasted sesame seeds, and cooked white rice (for serving)
Grilled Beef with Broccoli Directions
- Whisk garlic, ginger, oyster sauce, wine, soy sauce, oil, molasses, and vinegar in a medium bowl. Place steak in a large resealable plastic bag and pour in 2 cups marinade; set remaining marinade aside. Seal bag, turn to coat and let the steak marinate in refrigerator at least 1 hour and up to 12.
- Prepare a gas grill for 2-zone heat; set one burner at medium and one or two burners at medium-high. Alternatively, prepare a charcoal grill for medium-high heat. Grill steak over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until charred, 3–5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 10 minutes. Slice against the grain into ½”-thick strips.
- Meanwhile, stir ½ cup reserved marinade and ½ cup water in a small bowl to combine. Brush broccoli all over (crowns and stems) with some of the thinned marinade. Grill over medium heat, turning occasionally and basting frequently with thinned marinade, until charred and tender, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a plater and let cool slightly before breaking into large pieces.
- Divide steak and broccoli among plates. Top with scallions and sesame seeds. Serve with rice and remaining marinade alongside.