Get ready for football, the Time of the Tailgate is here with unique takes traditional grilled fan favorites to celebrate the big day. Whether carting out Big Bubba or a small personal grill, the Grillfather has the bold dishes to get your celebrations started. Next up is Grilled Beef Gyros, featuring grilled strips of marinated sirloin on grilled flatbread with fresh veggies and a refreshing cucumber sauce. These are sandwiches are one-handed beasts leaving the other to beat the air at the sound of your team’s fight song.
Begin by slicing a beef sirloin tip roast into ¼” thick slices, and then add them to a marinade of onion, garlic, sugar, mustard, ginger, pepper, cayenne, and soy sauce. The salt of the soy sauce and spices will infuse the strips with moisture and flavor. The sauce is a simple mixture of cucumber, garlic, salt, vinegar, oil, and sour cream that is fresh, light, and fragrant. Grill sirloin strips over medium heat until cooked and serve on warmed pita bread with sliced onion, chopped tomatoes, and cucumber sauce. This may not be your standard Greek gyro, but it will feed your soul with the nourishment of the gods. So fire up your grill, grab your long chairs and fan gear, and let’s celebrate the best time of the year with the Time of the Tailgate.
Grilled Beef Gyros Ingredients
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger or 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 boneless beef sirloin tip roast (2 to 3 pounds), cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 8 to 10 pita breads, warmed and halved
- Thinly sliced onion
- Chopped tomato
Grilled Beef Gyros Directions
- In a blender or food processor, place the onion, garlic, sugar, mustard, ginger, pepper and cayenne; cover and process until onion is finely chopped. Add soy sauce and water; process until blended. Place the beef in a large resealable plastic bag. Add marinade. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- For sauce, combine the cucumber, garlic, and salt in a blender or food processor; cover and process until cucumber is chopped. Add vinegar and oil; process until blended. Transfer to a bowl; stir in sour cream. Refrigerate until serving.
- Drain and discard marinade. Grill beef, covered, over medium-hot heat until meat reaches desired doneness. Place beef in pita halves. Top with cucumber sauce, sliced onion, and chopped tomato. Refrigerate any remaining sauce.
Taken from RD.com