With Thanksgiving just a couple weeks away, it is time to revisit our Thankful It’s Thanksgiving series to get the special spread ready for guests and family. Bringing something new and different to the traditional favorites, here is Grilled Baby Portabella Pesto Flatbread Pizza. Whether as an appetizer or side, this unique dish marries conventional flavors of mushrooms and thyme with rich pesto, making a delightful addition to the Thanksgiving meal.
Begin by sautéing the thinly sliced mushrooms and onions in olive oil with salt, pepper, and thyme. Sautéed mushrooms bring depth, texture, and earthy elements to every dish and make for a very hearty pizza, even without meat. Naan flatbread is used because it holds up well on the grill, and it only takes a couple minutes to warm and grill. Finish by simply piling the pesto, cheeses, and mushroom-onion mixture on the warmed flatbread and place on the grill for a few more minutes. The finished flatbreads are fresh, aromatic, and filling. So fire up the grill, grab a warm cup of cider, and take time to be thankful it’s Thanksgiving!
Serves: 6-8 (as an appetizer) or 2-4 (as a meal)
Grilled Baby Portabella Pesto Flatbread Pizza Ingredients
- 10 Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 Vidalia onion, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- big pinch salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 Naan breads
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 6 oz. mozzarella, shredded
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
Grilled Baby Portabella Pesto Flatbread Pizza Directions
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook mushrooms and onions in 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and continue to cook for up to 7 minutes until mushrooms and onions start to soften. Add chopped thyme to mushrooms and onions and stir, cook for a minute or two longer. Set aside.
- Heat your grill to medium heat. Place naan bread on grill and heat both sides for 1-2 minutes each. Take of grill and place on large plate or cutting board to prep pizzas.
- To prep pizzas, carefully spread pesto evenly over each flatbread. Spread cheeses evenly over both flatbreads, then top with mushrooms. Place back on grill and cook with grill cover shut for a few minutes until cheese is melted. Slice into small finger-food sized portions and serve.