Are you ready for some football? The big game is coming, however, just as the commercials have become part of the spectacle, so has the food. Our next feature in the Winter Game Day series is Grilled Artichokes with Creamy Butter Dip. This is a more sophisticated alternative to chips and dip, although I’m fine with both.
Grilled produce is always better – it looks amazing and tastes incredible. These grilled artichokes are first soaked and prepped in lemon water, steamed, and then finished on the grill. The dip is an easy preparation of butter, lemon juice, mayonnaise, and red pepper that comes out creamy and tangy. Everything about this dish is simple and speaks to the quality of the ingredients. So fire up the grill, grab a refreshing drink, and get ready to act like a madman as your team marches up and down the field.
Grilled Artichokes Ingredients
- 1 lemon, halved
- 4 large artichokes, about 3 pounds
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 teaspoon(s) coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) fresh-ground pepper
- 1/4 cup(s) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup(s) mayonnaise
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) ground red pepper
Grilled Artichokes Directions
- Prepare the artichokes: Fill a large bowl with cold water and squeeze the juice of 1 lemon half into it. Remove the stems from the artichokes, cut the pointy tips off the outer leaves, and cut 3/4 inch off the top. Rub all cut areas with the remaining lemon half. As you work, place each trimmed artichoke into the bowl of lemon water until ready to steam.
- Steam the artichokes: Drain the artichokes and place, stem side up, in a steamer basket over about 1 inch of boiling water and 1/4 cup lemon juice. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until tender — about 30 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- Grill the artichokes: Heat the grill to medium. Cut the artichokes in half lengthwise. Scoop out the inner pink leaves and the fuzzy choke. Toss the cleaned artichokes with the oil, salt, and pepper and grill until golden – 4 to 6 minutes on each side.
- Stir the remaining lemon juice, butter, mayonnaise, and red pepper together and serve as an accompanying dip.
Taken from: CountryLiving.com