When we gather together on Thanksgiving, we symbolically celebrate all our blessings by sharing a feast of the produce of our nation. Our last feature in the Thankful It’s Thanksgiving series is wonderfully simple in its preparation and taste – Grill-Roasted Spaghetti Squash with Molasses and Butter. With only four ingredients, this large vegetable does not suffer in flavor.
The spaghetti squash is large and orb-shaped, getting its name from the stringy texture of its meat once fully cooked. To make it easier to prepare, we suggest beginning the preparation in the oven, then moving to the grill to sear the squash and then melt the butter. The squash is served in the soft shells bringing an earthy and fun look to the plating, with beautiful color and shape. So fire up the grill, and let’s get thankful, remembering how blessed we are.
Grill-Roasted Spaghetti Squash Ingredients
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- Kosher salt
- 1-1/2 Tbs. molasses or maple syrup
Grill-Roasted Spaghetti Squash Directions
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place the squash, cut side down, on a rimmed baking sheet with just enough water to cover the bottom. Transfer the squash carefully to the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Remove it from the oven equally carefully; the water should have evaporated, but you could splash yourself if any remains. Remove the squash from the sheet and allow it to cool at room temperature, cut sides up, until ready to use.
- Just before serving, set the squash, cut side down, on the grill directly over medium-high heat. Grill for 3 to 4 minutes, then flip, moving the squash to the coolest part of the grill. Add 1 Tbs. butter to each half, season to taste with salt, and drizzle on the molasses. Cover the grill and cook until the butter is melted, about another 2 minutes.
- Take the squash off the grill and, using tongs, squeeze the squash halves to release the flesh. Use a fork to gently shred it and mix it with the butter. Serve immediately in the shells.
Taken from: FineCooking.com http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/grill-roasted-spaghetti-squash-molasses-butter.aspx