Oh boy! It’s the best time of the year. Not the holly jolly of the holidays, but the freezing tundra of wintertime gridiron, braving the elements, and winner takes all. It’s the Winter Game Day Series bringing you searing hot grilling ideas to get you through these gut-wrenching weeks of playoff football. Next up is Fajita Chicken Kebabs, featuring well-seasoned chicken and vegetables beautifully charred and skewered for fun and easy eating.
Begin by cutting the chicken breasts into uniform bite-sized cubes and place in resealable bag. Whisk together canola oil, lime juice and zest, chili powder, cumin, garlic, jalapeno, and salt, and pour into the bag over the chicken to marinate for several hours. Cut the bell peppers and onions into uniform ¾” chunks, and begin assembling the skewers with vegetables and marinated chicken bites. Lightly oil the grill grates and grill kebabs over medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes turning once or twice for uniform cooking. Garnish with fresh cilantro and lime wedges, and serve with favorite salsa, sour cream, and guacamole for a festive feasting during the game. So fire up the grill, grab your favorite jersey, and get ready for the epic action of the Winter Game Day Series.
Serves: 16 skewers
Fajita Chicken Kebabs Ingredients
- 4 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Zest and juice of 4 large limes, plus additional for serving
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 4 jalapeños, chopped (remove seeds and membrane if sensitive to spice)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 4 large green bell peppers
- 4 large red onions
- Fresh cilantro for serving
- Salsa – sour cream (or plain yogurt), and guacamole, optional for serving
Fajita Chicken Kebabs Directions
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Place in a zip-top bag.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the canola oil, lime juice and zest, chili powder, cumin, garlic, jalapeno, and salt. Pour over the chicken, seal the bag, the gently “squish” the bag so that the chicken is coated with the marinade. Place the bag in a baking dish to catch any accidental drips, then refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight. If using wooden skewers, soak the skewers in water for at least 20 minutes prior to use.
- When ready to cook, heat your grill to medium-high. Cut the bell peppers and onion into 3/4-inch chunks, then thread onto skewers with the marinated chicken pieces, alternating the chicken with the vegetables. Lightly oil the grill, then place the kabobs on the grill, cover, and let cook until the chicken is fully cooked and no longer pink, about 6 to 8 minutes, turning the chicken once or twice throughout so that it cooks evenly.
- Remove the chicken kebabs to a serving plate and sprinkle with cilantro and a few squeezes of fresh lime juice. Serve warm, garnished with salsa, sour cream, or guacamole as desired.
Taken from WellPlated.comhttps://www.wellplated.com/fajita-chicken-kebab-recipe/