Summer fun brings images of pool parties, vacations, and smokin’ hot grilled food! This is the Summer Grilling Spectacular, a series from the GrillFather to keep your barbecue going all summer long. Next up is Fajita Chicken Kebabs, inspired by the sizzling platters found in restaurants, these kebabs bring the flavor of fajitas to a poolside favorite finger food. Infused with spices and lime, the chicken and vegetables are succulent and addicting.
Begin by slicing the boneless chicken breasts into uniform bite-sized cubes. A quick marinade of canola oil, fresh-squeezed limejuice, lime zest, cumin, chili powder, garlic, jalapeño, and salt is all that’s needed to prepare the chicken for the grill. If using wooden skewers, be sure to presoak them for 20 minutes before grilling so they hold up on the grill. Cut the bell peppers and onion into uniform bite-sized pieces as well, and begin threading them and the chicken onto the skewers. Grill over medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes turning once or twice. Serve with fresh cilantro and guacamole for an amazing backyard treat that your friends and family will love. So fire up the grill, this is the Summer Grilling Spectacular!
Fajita Chicken Kebabs Ingredients
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Zest and juice of 1 large lime, plus additional for serving
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, chopped (remove seeds and membrane if sensitive to spice)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1 large red onion
- Fresh cilantro, for serving
- Salsa, sour cream (or plain yogurt), and guacamole, optional for serving
Fajita Chicken Kebabs Directions
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Place in a zip-top bag.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the canola oil, lime juice and zest, chili powder, cumin, garlic, jalapeno, and salt. Pour over the chicken, seal the bag, the gently “squish” the bag so that the chicken is coated with the marinade. Place the bag in a baking dish to catch any accidental drips, then refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight. If using wooden skewers, soak the skewers in water for at least 20 minutes prior to use.
- When ready to cook, heat your grill to medium-high. Cut the bell peppers and onion into 3/4-inch chunks, then thread onto skewers with the marinated chicken pieces, alternating the chicken with the vegetables. Lightly oil the grill, then place the kabobs on the grill, cover, and let cook until the chicken is fully cooked and no longer pink, about 6 to 8 minutes, turning the chicken once or twice throughout so that it cooks evenly.
- Remove the chicken kebabs to a serving plate and sprinkle with cilantro and a few squeezes of fresh lime juice. Serve warm, garnished with salsa, sour cream, or guacamole as desired.
Taken from WellPlated.com