Every July 4th we gather with friends and family to celebrate our country’s birth, the end of tyranny, life, liberty…and the freedom to grill! This day is all about fireworks, great food off the grill, and remembering where our freedom came from. To help inspire you with new menu options, we are bringing you a 3-part series called, “Grillin’ on the Fourth of July.” Our first recipe is award-winning Bourbon Brat Skewers, featuring marinated veggies in a tasty bourbon sauce and grilled bratwurst.
This is an incredibly easy recipe with a short cooking time, allowing ample time for socializing, relaxing, napping, and blowing things up. Grilled skewers are always a party favorite, and these will not disappoint. Sweet and spicy, the bourbon mixed with the brown sugar and cayenne pepper delivers just the right kick to the juicy brats – like fireworks in your mouth with every bite! Be prepared multiply this recipe, as they are going to fast. So fire up the grill, keep the fireworks at a safe distance away, and let the celebration begin.
Bourbon Brat Skewers Ingredients
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups whole mushrooms
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked bratwurst links, cut into 1-inch slices
Bourbon Brat Skewers Directions
- In a large re-sealable plastic bag, combine the first five ingredients. Add the vegetables; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Drain and reserve marinade. On six metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread the vegetables and bratwurst. Brush with reserved marinade. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until bratwurst is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, turning and basting frequently with reserved marinade.