As the leaves fall and the temperatures drop, some see autumn as the end of the grilling season. Weak! The GrillFather is just getting started, and the Harvest Grilling Series continues with fabulous recipes for you to grill and enjoy around the fire pit. Nothing is more fit for the season than BBQ Chicken with Sweet Chili–Peach Glaze. The combination of mesquite grilled chicken glazed with peaches and sweet chili sauce, and caramelized goodness makes this chicken a seasonal favorite.
This recipe is kind of like a mixed grill, but with chicken, peaches, and onions. Everything get’s grilled together with just some olive oil drizzle and salt and pepper. The fragrant mesquite aroma that comes off the grill as the peaches caramelize and onions char is terrific. The finishing touch is the sweet chili-peach glaze. A simple combination of sweet chili sauce, 1 peach, lime juice, and lime zest, there are not many things in life that are as addictively sweet. Glazing the chicken is like making chicken candy, which pairs so well with the onions and grilled peaches. So fire up the grill, grab your favorite sweater, and a hot drink, and let’s get grilling with the Harvest Grilling Series.
BBQ Chicken with Sweet Chili–Peach Glaze Ingredients
- 5 peaches, sliced in half and pitted, divided
- 1/2 c. sweet chili sauce
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 8 green onions
- bamboo skewers, soaked in water
- 2 red onions, sliced into 3/4″ rings
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lb. bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
BBQ Chicken with Sweet Chili–Peach Glaze Directions
- In a blender, add 1 peach (roughly chopped), sweet chili sauce, and lime juice and zest; pulse and blend until smooth, then transfer to a small bowl. On a rimmed sheet pan, place the remaining peaches cut side up with green onions. Skewer onions through center and place on a sheet pan. Lightly drizzle with olive oil and toss until coated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat grill on medium-high. Meanwhile, rinse chicken and pat dry thoroughly. On a separate rimmed sheet pan, arrange chicken pieces, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken on the grill and cook covered for 10 minutes. Flip chicken and add peaches, green onions, and onions to grill. Cover for 5 minutes and flip peaches and vegetables. When chicken reaches an internal temperature of 150 to 155°, brush glaze on chicken. Flip chicken until glazed and browned on both sides and internal temperature is 165°; total cooking time for chicken is about 25 minutes. Peaches and vegetables should have dark grill marks and be slightly charred; cooking time is 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a large platter and serve with remaining glaze.