Summertime is all about relaxing, having fun, rewarding experiences, and trying new things. Our next installment in our Summer Grilling Spectacular series covers all of these, and taste good too – BBQ Chicken Burgers. This isn’t just throwing a filet on a bun; these burgers are handmade with a ground chicken mixture that will knock your socks off! (That is if you are wearing socks, but probably not because it’s summer… So these burgers will knock your flip-flops off!)
What sets these chicken burgers apart is the ground chicken combined with pulled pork and spices, adding a great depth of flavor. Homemade BBQ sauce is always better, but can be substituted with your favorite pre-made sauce for even easier preparation. These don’t take any longer to cook than classic burgers giving you a fun alternative without adding more work or time. So fire up the grill, grab a drink, and hold on to your flip-flops!
BBQ Chicken Burgers Ingredients
For the sauce:
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 tbsp. grated (or very finely chopped) onion
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- Hot sauce, to taste
For the burgers:
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- ¼ cup cornmeal (or ½ cup crumbled cornbread)
- 1 scallion, minced
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2/3 cup chopped pulled pork (optional)
- 5 tbsp. barbecue sauce, divided
- Burger buns, toasted on the grill
- Grilled onion slices
- Sliced cheddar cheese
- Additional barbecue sauce
BBQ Chicken Burgers Directions
- Heat a grill to medium-high heat.
- To make the barbecue sauce, combine all the ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens and is reduced to about 1 cup, about 7 minutes. Remove from the heat. Chill until ready to use.
- To make the burgers, combine the ground chicken, cornmeal, scallion, cilantro, brown sugar, spices, pulled pork (if using) and 2 tablespoons of the barbecue sauce in a medium bowl and mix gently until well combined. Form the mixture into four equal patties. Transfer to a plate and refrigerate until ready to grill.
- Oil the grates of the grill. Place the burger patties on the heated grill and cook about 3-4 minutes. Flip the burgers and brush the cooked sides generously with some of the remaining 3 tablespoons of barbecue sauce. Cook about 3 minutes, then flip once more and brush the second side with barbecue sauce. Top with cheese slices, if using. Cook just until cooked through and cheese is melted.
- Place the burgers on the toasted buns and top with grilled onion slices and additional barbecue sauce as desired.
Taken from: Annie’s Eats http://www.annies-eats.com/2011/05/25/barbecue-chicken-burgers/