A new year has begun, and now that the tinsel and flickering lights are put away for another year, it’s time to get onto the truly important issues of life – playoff football, baby! The Winter Game Day is back with fantastic football “fixin’s” for your frenzied fandom party. (Just try to say that a few times fast…) The GrillFather has what you need to elevate your game day menu with Baby, That’s a Good Merlot Onion Burger! Combining sauteed onions and red wine into the patty keeps this burger juicy, rich, and perfect for the big game.
Begin by sautéing the onions in olive oil and reducing with red wine and thyme until caramelly and gorgeous. Thoroughly combine the onion mixture with ground beef, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper, and then divide into four equal parts. Form into patties and grill over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes per side. To make them gooey and delightful, top each burger patty with sharp cheddar cheese and allow to melt for another 30 seconds or so. Assemble these glorious sandwiches on toasted rolls with homemade Worcestershire Ketchup or your favorite condiments. So fire up the grill, don your team’s jersey and necessary face paint, and get ready for your Winter Game Day extravaganza!
Makes 4 Burgers
Baby, That’s a Good Merlot Onion Burger! Ingredients
- 2 tsp olive oil divided
- 1 onion diced
- 1/2 cup red wine (I used Gallo Family Merlot)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1/3 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- A few grinds of black pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- four rolls
- Lettuce, Worcestershire Ketchup, or your favorite toppings for serving
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
Baby, That’s a Good Merlot Onion Burger! Directions
- In a small skillet, heat 1 tsp olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 8-10 minutes, or until soft and lightly browned.
- Add the red wine and thyme, and reduce until most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat and set aside
- Preheat your grill for medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl, gently combine the beef, onion mixture, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Divide into four balls and form into patties.
- Grill over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes per side.
- Top each burger with about 1/4 cup cheese, close the lid for 30 seconds to a minute, and remove from the grill.
- Serve on lightly toasted rolls with lettuce, Worcestershire ketchup, or your favorite toppings.
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and stir to combine.
Taken from cupcakesandkalechips.com https://cupcakesandkalechips.com/merlot-onion-burgers/